Sam Hornish Jr. Lowe's Motor Speedway Preview
October 13, 2009
SAM HORNISH JR.
No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger
Lowe’s Motor Speedway – NASCAR Banking 500
October 17, 2009
Mobil 1 Team News and Notes of Interest
• Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, returns to Lowe’s Motor Speedway after a successful showing in May at the 1.5-mile quad-oval. Hornish won the NASCAR Showdown, which earned him a spot in the All-Star Race where he finished in the 16th position. Hornish also finished 16th in the Coca-Cola 600 just one week later in Charlotte.
• Hornish has favored Lowe’s Motor Speedway from the start of his Cup Series career, racing his way into the All-Star Race twice in two attempts. In points-awarding events, Hornish has a total of two top-20 finishes in just three starts at the speedway.
• Penske Racing will open up its doors and celebrate the 2009 season with fans on Friday, October 16 at its annual Fan Appreciation Day. Autograph tickets will be distributed to the first 350 people in line at the Penske Racing gift shop at 8 a.m. Scheduled to appear are Hornish, Kurt Busch, David Stremme, Justin Allgaier and Parker Kligerman along with IndyCar Series drivers Helio Castroneves, Ryan Briscoe, Will Power and four-time Indianapolis 500 winner Rick Mears.
• Hornish will once again host the AutoTrader.com Sam Hornish Jr. Celebrity Bowling Tournament during the upcoming race weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. Open to the public, the tournament will take place on November 5, 2009 at Main Event in Grapevine, Texas and will benefit Speedway Children’s Charities. Additional information is available at http://bit.ly/1u1MK.
• Fans can now follow Sam Hornish Jr. on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SamHornish. Fans can get a glimpse inside his everyday life while keeping up-to-date on the latest news for the No. 77 team.
Sam Hornish Jr. on Lowe’s Motor Speedway
“I love racing at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. It is one of my favorite tracks and we tend to run well there. One of the highlights of our season came at Lowe’s Motor Speedway when we earned our first NASCAR trophy by winning the NASCAR Showdown. The Mobil 1 team is definitely excited to race at home this weekend.
“Last season, our intermediate-track program was the strong suit for this No. 77 team. This year, it seems that short tracks are where we have had the most success. I think that we have room to improve on intermediate tracks, but we have a solid foundation to build upon and we continue to get stronger with every race.”
Crew Chief Travis Geisler on Lowe’s Motor Speedway
“The Mobil 1 team is hoping to take advantage of some momentum to get a good finish at Lowe’s Motor Speedway this weekend. Racing at our home track in Charlotte always gets everyone excited to do their best. We are 70 points from 23rd place which is a goal we all really want to achieve. Sam has run well at Charlotte in the past and I feel with the recent improvements in our intermediate program, Saturday should be a good night.”