18th for Keselowski in Rain-Shortened Coke Zero 400
July 7, 2014
Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway (2.5-mile speedway, Daytona, Fla.)
Sunday, July 6, 2014
No. 2 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Fusion
Driver: Brad Keselowski
Finish Position: 18
Driver's Points Position: 4
THE RACE REVIEW
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Alliance Truck Parts Ford team qualified 26th for the Coke Zero 400.
· Rain played a significant role in the Fourth of July weekend classic at Daytona as the race, originally scheduled for Saturday night, was postponed due to rain and the start was moved to Sunday at 11:00 a.m. ET.
· Light rain still fell through Turns 1 and 2 as the cars ran their parade laps just prior to the start on Sunday.
· The green flag waved and the field commenced three-wide racing through lap five before the yellow caution flag was displayed again for showers in Turns 1 and 2. A red flag then brought a stop to the action as track drying commenced at the 2.5-mile oval.
· The race resumed after a short delay and three-wide racing soon caused the first big incident of the day as a multi-car crash collected a number of top competitors, including Keselowski and the No. 2 Alliance Truck Parts Ford.
· Keselowski brought the damaged machine to the pit lane where the No. 2 Team Penske crew went to work making repairs.
· The Alliance Truck Parts Ford had to pit four times under the lengthy caution period for repairs. The team managed to fix most of the damage and keep Keselowski on the lead lap.
· When the race restarted, Keselowski was scored in the 34th position as the last car on the lead lap.
· The race continued on with Keselowski running on his own behind the lead pack. Eventually the leaders passed the No. 2 Ford and Keselowski fell a lap down in the running order.
· At lap 97 another multi-car accident occurred and once again the Alliance Truck Parts Ford sustained damage. Keselowski pitted for repairs and was able to continue.
· The racing resumed at lap 104 with Keselowski scored 18th, running one lap down to the leaders.
· At lap 108 the rain once again brought out the caution flag. After a lengthy delay, the race was called official with Keselowski scored in 18th place.
· With the result, Keselowski maintained fourth place in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series standings, now trailing leader Jeff Gordon by 65 points.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
BRAD KESELOWSKI, NO. 2 ALLIANCE TRUCK PARTS FORD
IT WAS A LONG RACE WITH BIG ACCIDENTS AND RAIN DELAYS, TELL US ABOUT YOUR DAY.
“We had a strong Ford Fusion today, though we didn’t get much of a chance to show it. We did avoid major damage in the first wreck and while it wasn’t perfect, our Alliance Truck Parts machine was still alright. Then the second wreck happened and I thought I was going to make it through then someone hit me from behind and we sustained more damage. I have to give credit to the crew as they did great job of patching the car up and keeping me in the race. It was just one of those days.”