Keselowski Finishes 17th in Federated Auto Parts 400
September 8, 2013
Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond International Raceway (.75-mile oval, Richmond, VA)
Saturday, September 7, 2013
The No. 2 Miller Lite
Driven By Brad Keselowski
Start Position: 3
Finish Position: 17
Current Driver's Points Position: 16
THE RACE REVIEW
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion team began Saturday night’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) race at Richmond International Raceway (RIR) from the third position, marking Keselowski’s fifth career top-10 start at RIR. The starting position was important as Keselowski tried to race his way into the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship.
· Saturday night’s race began with a 136-lap, green-flag run. Early in the run Keselowski radioed that his car was losing forward drive and it needed help with long-run speed. However, the current NSCS champion was able to keep the Miller Lite Ford inside the top five during that span, claiming the race lead for the first time following a great four-tire pit stop at lap 94.
· Following the third caution period of the day, Keselowski restarted from the second position at lap 142 but quickly grabbed his second lead of the day. He was able to stretch his lead out to over 2.5 seconds at one point.
· The Miller Lite Ford Fusion displayed great short-run speed as Keselowski continued to pace the field past the halfway point of the 400-lap race. In all, he led four times for a race-high 142 laps on the evening.
· Needing a win to secure a place in the Chase, Keselowski and the Miller Lite team had their hopes dashed when an untimely caution flag flew after they made their fifth pit stop of the day. This put the team one lap down to the race leaders.
· Keselowski stayed out on track to receive a “wave around” and get back on the lead lap. Restarting the race in 15th place, there were simply too few laps remaining for the team to make a march back toward the front of the field.
· With a 17th-place finish, Keselowski is now 16th in the NSCS driver’s point standings. The Chase will begin next week and, unfortunately, the Miller Lite team won’t have a chance to defend its title from 2012.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
WHAT HAPPENED IN THE RACE SATURDAY NIGHT?
“We were pretty good at the start and led a lot of laps in the Miller Lite Ford. I think we led the most laps but we just weren’t strong enough to really stay up there. We needed clean air to really run well and once we lost that we just weren’t strong enough. I don’t really have any emotions right now. We weren’t good enough to make (the Chase) and we didn’t. That is the reality."
WHAT CAN YOU OFFER YOUR TEAMMATE, JOEY LOGANO, TO HELP THROUGHOUT THIS CHASE?
“I couldn’t be happier for Joey. I knew he had this potential in him. That’s why I wanted him as a teammate. I will do whatever I can to help him and impart any knowledge that I’ve gained from my previous two Chase appearances. I think he has a great shot at the championship as it is, so I don’t know how much help he is going to need.”