The Aaron’s 312 at Talladega Superspeedway (2.66-mile superspeedway, Talladega, Ala.)
May 4, 2013
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano qualified 12th in his first race of the 2013 season behind the wheel of the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang.
· Logano wasted little time taking his Ford Mustang to the front, showing early that he was the class of the field.
· With the two-car tandem being the way to go, Logano spent much of the day either pushing a car or being pushed into the lead. Logano ran in the top-four for much of the race.
· Late in the race, Logano found himself without a drafting partner while running in the 14th position. He then hooked up with Austin Dillon and the duo raced from 13th and 14th to first and second as a caution flag waved, setting up a green-white-checkered finish.
· Restarting second, Logano fell back to fifth but got pushed to the lead by Alex Bowman through Turns 3 and 4. As Logano surged to the lead, Bowman fell back. Logano had the lead through the tri-oval as a major wreck happened behind him. Logano found himself three-wide as the caution came out. After review, it was determined that Logano was second by less than a foot when the caution was displayed, leaving him in second-place.
· The result marks Logano’s fifth finish of third or better in Nationwide Series competition at Talladega Superspeedway. In five career races at Talladega, Logano has one win, two second-place and two third-place finishes.
· Logano led the most laps in the race, pacing the field nine times for 35 laps.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW WAS YOUR FIRST RACE WITH THE NO. 22 TEAM?
“I’m super-proud of my guys. Working with this 22 team for the first time with Discount Tire on the car and to lead a lot of laps and almost come home with a win, I’m super-proud of that. I was working with a different spotter than what I normally work with. My normal spotter (Tab Boyd) works with Sam every week, so working with Joey Meier, who is Brad’s spotter, and trying to get that chemistry was something interesting for me and I learned a lot from that. I’m just really proud of this team. They gave me a great car and we should have won this race. I can’t wait to get back in the car next week.”