Penske Racing Dollar General 200 at Phoenix Preview
February 26, 2013
Phoenix International Raceway (PIR) (1-mile tri-oval)
Sam Hornish Jr. - The No. 12 Detroit Genuine Parts Ford Mustang
Primary Chassis: PRS-243 Last Raced: New chassis
Backup Chassis: PRS-236 Last Raced: Charlotte, October 12
Brad Keselowski - The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Primary Chassis: PRS-242 Last Raced: New Chassis
Back-up Chassis: PRS-235 Last Raced: New Chassis
No. 12 NEWS AND NOTES
- THE SCENE OF THE TIME: Hornish's lone NASCAR Nationwide victory came in the fall of 2011 at PIR and he returns to the venue sitting atop the Nationwide Series point standings for the first time in his career.
- SOME MOMENTUM: Riding the on the momentum of his best -ever, second-place finish at Daytona, Hornish is primed to capitalize on his strong start to the season as he returns to short-track racing at a circuit that favors his driving style.
- WINNING WAYS: Hornish has earned victories in Nationwide Series and INDYCAR Series competition at PIR.
No. 22 NEWS AND NOTES
- HOME GAME: Discount Tire, the primary sponsor of the No. 22 Ford Mustang, is headquartered in Scottsdale, AZ, making this a home game for the team.
- 20 AND COUNTING: Keselowski's 20 career NASCAR Nationwide Series wins place him tied with Greg Biffle for 14th-place on the all-time wins list.
- LIVING IN THE NOW: Keselowski has finished in the top-five in six of the last eight NASCAR Nationwide Series races at Phoenix International Raceway, but has yet to visit Victory Lane. That will be his focus this weekend.
SAM HORNISH, JR. NO.12 DETROIT GENUINE PARTS FORD
YOU'VE BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL AT PHOENIX, WHY?
"I've always enjoyed tracks that are very different from end to end, I call them compromise tracks since you generally set your car up to good on one end and then you just do your best to get through the other end. Of course some of that success is also having equipment and a team that is capable of winning, which we have with our Penske Ford Mustang."
NATIONWIDE SERIES POINTS LEADER, HOW DOES IT FEEL?
"We had a good run in Daytona, which we feel good about, and now we are getting to a track where we feel that we are capable of running well, so I feel great."
GREG ERWIN, CREW CHIEF NO. 12 DETROIT GENUINE PARTS FORD
A STRONG START, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH SAM?
"Sam and I are working together a lot to help us both be better prepared for the race events. Our first race went very well, but we still have a lot to improve on. We are trying to raise the bar at every level of the program and communicate very clearly and honestly on our thoughts about the team's performance."
BRAD KESELOWSKI, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD
WHAT WOULD IT MEAN TO GET A WIN AT PHOENIX?
"A win a Phoenix would be very special because I would be able to share it with the employees of Discount Tire. They have been right there with me from my first day at Penske Racing. We've won a lot of races and a championship together, but we can't seem to break through at Phoenix. I'm hoping to change that this weekend."
DESCRIBE A LAP AROUND PHOENIX
"The new Phoenix is really a fun place to race. You get a great sensation of elevation changes and speed there. It's only going to get better as it ages."
JEREMY BULLINS, CREW CHIEF NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS WEEKEND'S RACE?
"I think all of us on the Discount Tire Ford team are anxious to get back to Phoenix to finish the deal. We've had a chance to win the last couple of races. Maybe going back as a Ford team will give us that extra bit we need to finish in Victory Lane."
Friday - 12:00pm ET, NNS Practice on SPEED
Friday - 3:30pm ET, NNS Practice on SPEED
Saturday - 4:30pm ET, Dollar General 300 on ESPN2
Saturday - 4:30pm ET, MRN and SiriusXM